Dr. Duane Delaune is a New Orleans mercury-free and mercury-safe dentist who has not placed silver mercury dental fillings (also known as amalgam fillings) since 1994. The dental profession is divided on the safety of amalgam fillings. Mercury is a serious neurotoxin and comprises about 50% of amalgam fillings. Contrary to long standing beliefs, mercury vapors are released from amalgam fillings throughout the lifespan of the fillings. The debate of their safety is complex and ongoing.
In 1994, after realizing that there are better dental restorations available, Dr. Delaune decided to have his own silver mercury dental fillings removed and replaced with composite resin restorations. At that time, he also decided he would not want his own family members to have any amalgam fillings placed. He then made the commitment to eliminate amalgam from his practice because he did not want to treat his patients any differently than he would treat his own family members.
Many patients are concerned about the mercury in their own silver fillings and elect to have them removed and replaced with mercury-free dental restorations such as tooth colored composite resin restorations. Dr. Delaune and his team are concerned about the potential exposure to them and their patients to mercury vapor during the removal process, and for this reason follow a safe protocol for the removal of silver mercury dental fillings.
Advantages of Mercury-Free Composite Fillings
- They bond to the tooth, protecting it and giving it strength. Amalgam fillings do not bond to the tooth and weaken it against fractures.
- Teeth are much less sensitive to hot and cold than they are with amalgam.
- The color of the fillings matches your teeth, so they look natural.
- Less removal of tooth structure is required than with amalgams.
- Less risk of leakage and underlying recurrent decay than with amalgams.