at Delaune Dental
Dr. Duane Delaune of Delaune Dental is an accredited and certified provider of the Chao Pinhole Surgical Technique. Dr. Delaune trained in Pasadena, CA with John Chao, DDS, MAGD who developed the technique.
What Is the Pinhole Surgical Technique?
Receding or uneven gums can expose the roots of your teeth. This can lead to several problems. It can:
- detract from your smile
- cause sensitivity
- lead to decay
- lead to tooth loss
The Pinhole Surgical Technique (PST) is a minimally invasive treatment used to rebuild the gumline and essentially rejuvenate the gums from this gum recession. It is like minimally invasive plastic surgery to correct or rejuvenate the pink tissues that show when you smile. But unlike traditional grafting techniques, PST corrects gum recession without scalpels, tissue grafting, sutures, or scarring, and with minimal discomfort and healing time.
Gum Grafting vs. the Pinhole Surgical Technique
Traditional gum recession treatments involve tissue grafting using donor tissue, either taken from the patient’s own palate or donated tissue from a cadaver to rebuild the gumline. Incisions are made to prepare the existing gums to receive the donated tissue, which is then sutured in place until it heals. While these traditional grafting techniques are relatively effective, more predictable results with better patient experiences and satisfaction can be achieved with the Pinhole Technique.
How Is PST Performed?
- Using a small needle a tiny pinhole is made in the area of the recessed gum tissue.
- Through this pinhole, specialized PST proprietary instruments are used to gently loosen the existing gum tissue and guide it over the roots into the correct position.
- Tiny collagen strips are placed through the pinhole and tucked behind and under the gums. The collagen helps keep the gums in place and promotes healing.
- The pinhole closes within 24 hours.
The photos below show how the technique rejuvenates gum tissue and can make your smile look healthier, younger, and more attractive.
What Are the Benefits?
- Less discomfort, swelling, or bleeding after treatment
- Faster recovery time
- No uncomfortable or ugly sutures
- No scalpels
- No need for donated tissue from the palate or a cadaver
- Can correct up to 14 teeth with a single surgery
- Excellent, natural looking results with no scarring.
- Predictable and long-lasting results
What Is the Cost?
The cost of PST varies depending on a number of teeth with gum recession and the severity of the gum recession. Treatment fees can range from $1,900 for a single tooth to $5,900 for a full arch of teeth (up to 14 teeth).
Are You a Candidate for the Pinhole Technique?
Before performing the Pinhole Surgical Technique, Dr. Delaune will examine your teeth and gums to ensure you have enough gum tissue to loosen and cover your tooth roots.
If you have receding gums and would like to know if you are a good candidate for the Pinhole Surgical Technique, we invite you to call our office (504) 618-1508 and schedule a personal consultation with us, or if you prefer, you may click here to Request an Appointment online.