I never had problems with teeth sensitivity before I got porcelain veneers. I am concerned because it’s been two weeks since I got veneers, and whenever I drink anything cold (not even icy cold), my teeth are sensitive. My dentist said I should be patient while my teeth calm long. How long are teeth sensitive after getting veneers?
Thank you for contacting Dr. Delaune’s office. Sensitivity after getting porcelain veneers is not unusual.
How Long Are Teeth Sensitive After Getting Porcelain Veneers?
Teeth sensitivity after getting porcelain veneers can last up to two weeks. Sensitivity can last fewer or longer than two weeks depending on several factors, including:
- Tooth preparation – Healthy porcelain veneers must fit snugly around your gums, which can require removing a small amount of tooth enamel. Preparing your teeth for veneers can create sensitivity that should resolve within a week or two. If a dentist aggressively prepares your teeth, sensitivity may linger.
- Porcelain veneer bonding – Some people are sensitive to the bonding agent used to ensure the veneers stick to their teeth.
- Occlusion – How your upper and lower teeth meet can cause sensitivity or discomfort. A skilled cosmetic dentist checks and adjusts your bite after placing porcelain veneers to ensure your teeth meet evenly.
- Porcelain veneer fit – Ensuring that veneers fit snugly at the gumline will help minimize sensitivity. Otherwise, you may feel discomfort around gaps between a porcelain veneer and your tooth.
- General recovery – Any dental work, including regular exams and cleaning, can create temporary sensitivity. Before you get porcelain veneers, in addition to removing small amounts of tooth enamel, a dentist may need to remove decay or damage from your teeth. You may experience sensitivity afterward.
What If Teeth Sensitivity Lingers?
If you feel lingering sensitivity after getting porcelain veneers, schedule an exam with your dentist to check the veneers and your bite. If your dentist cannot identify the cause and estimate when the sensitivity might resolve, schedule a second opinion appointment with a skilled cosmetic dentist.
Dr. Duane Delaune of Metairie, Louisiana, sponsors this post. Read why Dr. Delaune’s patients consider him one of the best dentists in town.