My dentist completed Zoom whitening three months ago. Then I got dental bonding to fill in some small gaps and chips on my teeth. I know that my Zoom touch-ups will not harm the bonding, but what about an ultrasonic toothbrush? I see a few toothbrushes on sale and wonder if they will scratch the bonding and make it turn yellow. Thank you. Clifton from Albany, GA
Thank you for choosing our office for your question. Regular maintenance will keep your teeth bright after whitening your teeth with Zoom or another brand. But what if you have cosmetic dentistry work, such as bonding or porcelain veneers?
Will an Ultrasonic Toothbrush Damage Dental Bonding?
A sonic or ultrasonic toothbrush will not damage dental bonding. The soft bristles of the toothbrush clean and polish teeth. How do they work? The brush releases sonic energy for these benefits:
- Removes plaque, tartar, and bacteria
- Breaks up particles that the bristles can sweep away
- Helps bristles and toothpaste access and clean crevices
Dental Bonding Brushing Tips
Whether you use a manual, sonic, or ultrasonic toothbrush, consider these tips to keep your teeth and bonding healthy:
- Use a soft-bristled brush to avoid scratching your dental bonding.
- Brush for two minutes to clean your teeth thoroughly.
- Use non-abrasive toothpaste. Supersmile® is gentle on cosmetic dental work.
- Remember to floss daily to remove debris between teeth.
- As the American Dental Association recommends, replace your toothbrush every three to four months. Worn bristles do not clean well. Ultrasonic toothbrushes have replacement heads that you can buy in a pack.
Can Ultrasonic Dental Equipment Damage Dental Bonding?
If ultrasonic dental equipment is misused, it can damage dental bonding. An example is an ultrasonic scaler with a metal tip that can nick dental bonding or porcelain veneers at high speeds. But skilled hygienists understand how and when to use ultrasonic tools to clean and smooth teeth and keep your bonding intact.
Dr. Duane Delaune, an accredited cosmetic dentist in Metairie, LA, sponsors this post.